In fluid dynamics, pumps play a vital role in various industries. One widely used and highly efficient pump type is the positive displacement pump, also called a volumetric pump. They offer numerous advantages and have diverse applications across different sectors. This article will explore all about them, what they are, how they work, and their significance in various industries. It will also discuss where you can find positive displacement pumps for sale and some common uses.
Efficiently Manage Your Office Calculations With Our Advanced Calculators.
But, before diving into the article, understand “what is a positive displacement pump” in the below section.
What is a Volumetric Pump?
A positive displacement pump is a mechanical apparatus that moves fluid from one place to another using reciprocating or rotating mechanisms. Unlike centrifugal pumps, which rely on converting kinetic energy to increase fluid velocity, they trap fluid and force it to move through the pump using a series of chambers or cavities. This unique mechanism allows them to deliver a constant flow rate regardless of the discharge pressure.
How Do They Work?
Volumetric pumps operate based on the principle of trapping and displacing fluid. They consist of a chamber or cavity that expands and contracts to create suction and discharge pressures. Two popular pump types will be examined below: reciprocating and rotary pumps; reciprocating pumps use a piston or plunger to create a reciprocating motion. As the piston moves back, the chamber expands, creating a vacuum that draws fluid into the chamber through an inlet valve. When the piston moves forward, the chamber contracts, causing the fluid to be forced out through a discharge valve.
Common Uses of Volumetric Pumps
Volumetric pumps find applications in various industries due to their ability to handle various fluids and pressures. Here are some positive displacement pump uses:
- Oil and Gas Industry: They are extensively used in the oil and gas industry for transporting crude oil, natural gas, and refined petroleum products. They are particularly suitable for handling viscous fluids and providing accurate metering.
- Chemical Industry: They play a crucial role in the chemical industry in transferring corrosive and abrasive fluids and handling toxic substances.
- Food and Beverage Industry: They are utilised in the food and beverage industry for handling delicate and shear-sensitive fluids, such as dairy products, fruit juices, and chocolate.
Where to Find Them for Sale?
If you require a volumetric pump for your industrial or commercial application, several avenues can help you find the right one for your specific needs. Here are some options to consider:
- Industrial Suppliers: Industrial suppliers and distributors specialising in fluid handling equipment are excellent sources for finding volumetric pumps for sale.
- Online Marketplaces: Online marketplaces have become popular platforms for buying and selling industrial equipment. Websites such as eBay, Alibaba, and Amazon provide various pumps from various manufacturers.
- Manufacturer Websites: Many optimistic, positive displacement pumps manufacturers have websites where they showcase their product offerings. These websites can provide detailed information about different pump models, specifications, and performance characteristics.
Volumetric pumps are essential devices used in various industries to handle different fluids, pressures, and viscosities. Whether you need to transport crude oil, handle corrosive chemicals, or transfer shear-sensitive liquids, they provide efficient and reliable solutions. Remember to explore different avenues, such as industrial suppliers, online marketplaces, and manufacturer websites, to find the right pump for sale.